Thursday, September 30, 2010

Meg's mash up

I had kind of a rough day yesterday so when I walked into my sister's place last night, I was semi-faking my cheerfulness.  However, within about 5 minutes, I was restored to pure happiness because of my friends.  Let me explain.

Yesterday was Meg's birthday.  All she wanted for her birthday was to watch the Britney Spears episode of "Glee" at someone's house with her friends while eating hot dogs and cake.  And for a present?  She wanted her friends to sing a Happy Birthday mash up.  For those of you who don't watch "Glee", a mash up is where you take two different songs and combine them into one song.  So, for example, on an episode of "Glee", the girls sang a mash up of "Halo" and "Walking on Sunshine", and it was awesome.  That is what Meg wanted. 

Friday, Steph sent out this email:

To: Peeps
From: Steph
Subject:  Meg's bday present --- start a salt water gargle now, we will sing like angels or Sarah

Meg only wants a Glee Mashup song for her birthday present (this is much
more affordable than we all expected given Meg's taste of fine
living...:)). Her request is that it includes Happy Birthday.

I took the liberty of providing lyrics. Performance will be next Tuesday
during Glee watching birthday party. Sing with spirit and use jazz hands. (and no, I'm not
kidding).
 
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you

You are the sunshine of my life
That's what I'll always be around
You are the apple of my eye
Forever you stay in my heart

Happy Birthday, Dear Meg
Happy Birthday to you

Sarah will lead with her voice of an angel and boys, follow Diane's lead,
feel free to throw in the harmony stuff I don't understand. This
will make Meg so happy and also, Glee is about Britney this week (the go to
password for all my computer systems at work) so you know I can't wait!

Again, nothing in this email is a joke, we are doing this! Yay!!!!! 


I was the last to arrive to the party, and after I stuffed some Little Ceasar's pizza in my face (that's right-Little Ceasar's. What's up, early 90's?), Steph declared it was time for us to "give Meg her present".  That is when Diane whipped out the video camera, and Lisa, who is a children's librarian, whipped out the musical instruments:
















These are some awesomely old school, little kid instruments. 

We took our places at one end of the room with Meg watching us from the other, I hummed a starting note and we began.  And I really can't describe how awesome and hilarious it was.  Just picture 10 people in their 30's singing a birthday mash up while playing elementary school instruments and waving their jazz hands.  Is that even something you can picture? 

All I know is, Meg loved it, none of us could stop laughing, and I fell in love with my friends all over again.  Also I really need to get my hands on that video tape so I can delete the footage.

Also here is a reason I love my brother in law:
















In case you can't read the sign in front of the pickles, it says: "Help yourself to some "Britney" spears."

On my way home I got this text message from Steph:  "We aren't normal."  No we are not.  But in the best possible way.

1 comment:

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

ok, i love this. hahaha