Monday, January 03, 2011

Welcome to the other side
















I have strategically placed this picture first to make sure none of you can be mad at me for not posting all week.  You can't be mad!  Cute baby wrapped up under the tree!

So I took a vacation from, well, everything.  I had a week off of work, and it was glorious.  I fell into an abyss of sleeping in, getting stuff done on my house and Netflix streaming.  You guys, seriously.  Netflix streaming.  Why have I just discovered this?  First I find they are streaming Veronica Mars, and now I see that they are streaming all seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  Hello!  Go relive the magic.  (I'm assuming we all watched both of these when they were on since they were AWESOME.)

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday.  Mine was fantastic as usual.  On Christmas Eve we ate chop suey-a traditional Christmas Eve dinner...for the cast of "A Christmas Story".  Then my sister, Drew and I got into our matching shirts and went to bed.  You wish I was kidding, don't you.  I'm not.  We have matching shirts from our Reindeer Run race last year.  We wear them on Christmas.  We are losers.  If I ever get a boyfriend, we're going to have to get new shirts.  I totally set it up like I was going to say, "If I ever get a boyfriend, we'll have to stop with the matching shirts", but I went the opposite direction.  I'm sure handing him a shirt that the three of us are already wearing won't scare him away.

Having Trevor with us this year was absolutely amazing.  He obviously had no idea what was going on and he slept most of the day, but just having him there elevated the day.  I mean he had a Santa hat on.  A baby sized Santa hat!  Also he smiles now-real smiles and not just because he has gas.  It's the best thing ever.  I say that a lot of things are the best thing ever, but this is actually the best thing ever. 

As you all know, New Year's in my nemesis.  I've laid out the reasons why in the past.  But this year, we decided not to stress about our plans, to treat it like any other night out with friends.  And it worked.  It was actually...*gulp*...fun.  Some highlights:

-   Steph didn't  make us eat the ass bread.  Well, not exactly anyway.  She brought actual soft pretzels instead of pure ass in a pretzel shape so it tasted good.  Matt talked her into it.  Thank you, Matt.  Seriously...thank you. 

- Not really a highlight, more just a fact:  Due to something called "the stomach flu", Diane and Drew weren't able to come out.  But silver lining:  New Year's Redo, anyone? 

- Again not a highlight per se, but poor Steph had an asthma attack, and Matt had to go get her inhaler.  While she was on the sidewalk hacking and almost dying from lack of oxygen, strangers walked by and told her she should quit smoking.  Helpful.

- Meg cried at midnight because she "felt so blessed to have such awesome people in her life".  I also think it's because she "was so drunk." 

- I kissed hot dudes.  Okay they were the guys we came with but whatever.  I'm counting it. 

- This is how Steph ordered a drink for me at one point:  "If you were a freshman in college and wanted to get a girl drunk who doesn't drink, what would you make?  Make that."  The bartender nodded and then made me some fruity drink that tasted like it came straight from heaven. I had 2 more of those puppies.

So now it's 2011.  Only one more year till the world ends.  According to John Cusack anyway.  Steph says a new year is a chance for a clean slate, for renewal and reinvention.  I'm thinking I should reinvent myself as Ryan Reynolds new wife.  Also I should learn to ice skate since it was on my "Things to do before I'm 30" list, and if I don't learn it soon I'm running a real risk of breaking a hip if I fall.  Other goals include:  learning to juggle, watching an Oscar nominated movie without falling asleep, blogging more frequently, making my fat roll talk to people at parties less frequently and buying more tennis shoes with laces that require I bend over to put them on.  No I'm joking about that last one.  Obviously.

What are your goals for the last year on Earth (thanks Mayans!)?

1 comment:

Fizzgig said...

I made a calendar going from 2011-infinity, so don't worry, I got you covered on the world ending, its not going to happen. Aren't I awesome?

I think matching shirts are cute. and when you meet the right guy hell buy you guys the shirts, then you know its real.