Friday, October 07, 2005

Age appropriate

Malley's Chocolates throws these parties for little kids. Each kid gets a party hat, a noisemaker and a sucker. Then the birthday boy or girl picks the kind of cake they want, and the staff brings it out with candles lit so everyone can sing "Happy Birthday". Each child at the party gets to pick which kind of ice cream they want, and everyone gets a slice of cake and a scoop of ice cream.

Somehow my sister and Steph convinced Malley's to let us throw this party for Steph's birthday on Wednesday. I walked up to Malley's a few minutes late ready to celebrate Steph's 28th birthday. This is the sign I saw when I walked up:



Oh really! Really, Steph! What did you have to do to convince them to do that, I wonder?

I walked in and as I turned the corner, I saw eleven adults-all of whom are nearing 30-wearing these:



And blowing these:



It was just about the funniest thing I've ever seen. And the truth is, immediately I was like, "Where's my hat. I want a goddamn hat!" God I love being old and secure and no longer caring what anybody thinks of me.

By the way, I was only there for 30 minutes and had nothing to drink except a glass of water yet somehow there is a picture of me with two party hats over my boobs singing "Open Your Heart To Me".

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT is awesome. I'll need to do soemthing like that for my birthday.

Post that pic.

Anonymous said...

something*

russ said...

Boob hats will be the next fad. Not so sure about that song, tho.

Check this out... if you dare.

Anonymous said...

*I stumbled upon your blog the other day by following links. I probably couldn't retrace the path if I tried. However, I appreciate whatever got me here*

I just want to say thanks to you:

1. for cracking me up. I'm talking, have to shut the door because I am laughing too much and will distract the rest of the psychology department.

2. for helping to cure my homesickness for Cleveland (Philly just doesn't compare). Although, I will admit that Lake County isn't exactly Cleveland but it's close enough. We have a Malley's there and I've been to Tower City.

3. for providing what might be the best distraction from work (beating out top contenders like Bejeweled, Found Magazine, and The Onion, and despair.com).

4. for helping me to accept my own fat roll.

Please keep up the excellent work.

Torrence said...

you are the wind beneath my wings

Fizzgig said...

OMG....that is totally awesome!

Anonymous said...

i'm just saying, the MTV show "My Super Sweet 16" (which is amazing) has nothing on me. My name was in lights. I win. You rock! -steph

Anonymous said...

I mean at 25 am I really nearing 30??? I like to look at the glass as half full, and in this case, half full means I am closer to 20 then I am to 30...I'm just saying. Oh and you forgot to mention that Malley's was across the street from a bar that we all went to so we could have a beer after the cake and ice cream party. I love cake... I love ice cream... I love beer... what a great night!!!

Anonymous said...

Drew- 25 rounds to 30. You forgot to mention that we did not take off our birthday hats when we went across the street to the towny bar. The people in there looked like they wanted to kill us.

John said...

I don't think they just "looked like" they wanted to kill you.

Networkchic said...

Isn't that what those hats are meant for? They never fit over my boobs.

Anonymous said...

Well...technically...some of us might have shown up at the birthday party maybe not 100% sober either. And I say Diane's right.

Kaycee said...

Im so proud (Teary eyed)