Thursday, October 13, 2005

Number 5 is alive

The other day at lunch we were talking about "Short Circuit", and I brought up how the Indian guy in the movie is not actually Indian. It's a white guy named Fisher Stevens*.

Apparently I was the only one at the table who knew this information, and it occurred to me that I had never asked my best friend Sudha, who is Indian, what he thought about a white guy playing what can be considered a stereotypical Indian character. Here is our email exchange:

My email to Sudha:
We were discussing "Short Circuit" the other day at lunch. Obviously. And I was saying how the Indian guy in that movie is actually not Indian in real life. It's a white guy. I was saying how I should really ask you some questions about this.
1) Did you know that?
2) How do you feel about a white man playing an Indian man-being Indian yourself (unless you are also being played by a white guy).
Please get back to me with your thoughts on this most pressing matter.

Sudha's response:
This is a question that has plagued mankind for at least the last 5 to 7 minutes. I actually did not know that. But more importantly did you know that #5 was played by a CANADIAN robot?

I love Sudha so much I want to hug him until he is forced to call the police.

*Incidentally, he dated Michelle Pfeiffer for like 5 or 6 years. Seriously, Michelle? I mean you do know what you look like, right?

7 comments:

Kaycee said...

I so didn't know this, honey! I am amazed. What a great tan!

ORF said...

Dude, that was awesome! You're friend Sudha is hilarious. id you see the bit about Number 5 is Alive on Geese Aplenty a few weeks ago? It was great.

Fizzgig said...

ack, that reminds me of the song 'who's johnny' which reminds me of El Debarge, which reminds me how I was almost as in love with him as I was with Michael Jackson. I am going to puke now.

Sarah said...

ORF, yes I did. I effing love Geese Aplenty. He is so funny.

Mon, embrace your love of El Debarge. The song "Who's Johnny" is seriously amazing, and I am obsessed with it.

russ said...

Who's Johnny, eh?

Anonymous said...

How can you not love Sudha!!!

John said...

I can't believe Sudha dated Michelle Pfeiffer. I mean I knew he was hot but that's a score.